Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Exploring the EM - What I'm Reading Next

As some of you have probably noticed, my starting point for accessing the Emerging Movement has really been Scot McKnight over at Jesus Creed. From there, I'm trying to branch out in 3 directions:
  1. I'm currently working through McLaren's Generous Orthodoxy - slowly and thoughtfully, trying to figure out what I like and what bothers me. More on that soon.
  2. Next, I've ordered Emerging Churches: Creating Christian Community in Postmodern Culture by Gibbs and Bolger.
  3. Finally, I'd like to try and connect with some real live emergent types here in the Philly area, just to see what they are like in person, to hear how they see themselves fitting in with the broader movement, etc.
One of the things I hope to do in this process is to try and avoid getting into nitty-gritty, obsessive-compulsive critiques of the EM. Instead, I'm more interested in thinking about the questions I haven't heard the EMers answering - pivot points in praxis, intersections in ideologies. And I'm going to try and keep it very, very simple and focused. Hopefully that will be helpful both for me and for you.

So that's where I'm going, and I sure would appreciate input from those of you who see yourself in the EM camp. In particular, if you think I've missed something - whether through oversight, misunderstanding, or even misrepresentation - I really want to know about it. It means a lot to me to try and describe the EM accurately...

1 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Pilgrim in Progress said...

B. I'll let you draw conclusions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home