Saturday, January 28, 2006

John Frame vs. Brian McLaren

Just for my own reference purposes, here's John Frame on Brian McLaren's Generous Orthodoxy. Here's a nice snippet:
And I have argued, like McLaren (105-114), for a missional concept of the church: the Great Commission of Matt. 28:18-20 is the fundamental task of the church, so that everything the church does, including worship, ought to have an outward-facing aspect.

It has always seemed to me that the church (including its theology) tends to be healthiest when mission is in the forefront, least healthy when it is preoccupied with its own history and trying hard to prove itself right in controversies with other Christians.
To which I add a hearty, Amen! I'd encourage you to read the whole thing. Regardless of what you think about the content of his critique, Frame's tone sets a fine example for others to emulate.

2 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frame rocks.

-Mark Moser

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger JD said...

I'm glad that there are Christian academics out there who know how to disagree politely. I wish there were more, and that their models and that we did likewise. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home